Thursday, July 22, 2010

My New Food Journey!

Five weeks ago I made a decision to get back on track. I had plateaued with my post-pregnancy weight loss and I was feeling really down about it. It was time to stop making excuses and just start cooking again. I have been in a big time rut, but I am excited to start cooking again and making healthy meals for me and the boys! I am looking at food in a whole new way now and my goal is to cut out as much processed food as possible, and start making better choices about the food we eat. By doing this, I feel like I don't have to be on a "diet". Everything in moderation!

For tonights dinner, I made Flank Steak Salad with Plums and Blue Cheese that I saw in the August 2010 edition of Cooking Light Magazine that I picked up at the supermarket the other night. Salads are becoming a go to dinner when I don't feel like cooking. This one is very simple but very flavorful!

What You Need:
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1lb flank steak, trimmed
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 cups loosely packed baby arugula
3 plums, thinly sliced
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese

The Steps:
1. Combine pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl; rub over both sides of steak.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steak from pan; let rest 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.

3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, honey, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add arugula; toss gently to coat. Arrange about 1 1/2 cups arugula mixture onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 3 ounces steak, about 1/2 cup plums, and 1 tablespoon cheese.



The Verdict:
This was really, really good! I have never been a fan of arugula before, heck I have never really been into "Rabbit Food" (as my brother Dave calls it) before. To be perfectly honest, I turned my nose up at it before really giving it a fair chance. It wasn't half bad though! It definitely has more bite to it than a spinach salad would but I'll use it again.

The dressing was excellent! Very light and had a hint of sweetness form the honey. I loved that it had a "from scratch" dressing because it fits into my goal of cutting out processed foods. By making the dressing myself, as opposed to buying it from the store, I know what is in the dressing there are no fillers or preservatives!

I ended up using thinly sliced sirloin steak because the supermarket was out of flank steak. We also grilled it because, it's summer and that is what you do with meat in the summer! The Doc is the GrillMaster of the house and the steaks were perfectly grilled!

All around a fabulous dinner and when you eat a dinner like that you have saved yourself some room for some ICE CREAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment