Monday, August 3, 2009

Coffee-Peppercorn Marinade

Since the purchase of our grill, I have been trying to find new ways to grill steak. I am a big fan of marinades. The problem is, cooking for the Doc, I am limited on the variations of marinades I can try (nothing with Italian Dressing). I was searching for something different than the standard teriyaki sauce and came across this Coffee-Peppercorn Marinade on the Food Network's website.

It sounded great. I wasn't sure how the Doc would feel about the balsamic vinegar so I decided to put aside some meat and just use the bottled teriyaki sauce. That way he could try it but if he didn't like the flavor he wouldn't go hungry!

Coffee-Peppercorn Marinade
Ingredients
:
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat

Directions:
Whisk coffee, vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, peppercorns and salt in a glass dish large enough for meat to lie flat. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.

Armenian Rice Pilaf
Ingredients
:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
5 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
4 cubes chicken bouillon

Directions:
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the egg noodles and stir until they begin to brown, being careful not to burn the butter. Stir in the rice. Continue stirring until rice is coated with butter.

Pour in the chicken broth and add the bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cover tightly. Cook without uncovering pot until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.


The Verdict:
This is a fantastic marinade! I made it for my family also and everyone loved the flavor. The nice thing about this marinade is the flavors work so well together. There were a few who looked at me cross eyed when I said the marinade had coffee in it! Even the Doc thought it was great. The balsamic vinegar, while smells very strong when you prepare the marinade, is mild once the meat has been grilled.

The recipe above calls for 1lb of Flank Steak, but I used Sirloin Tips. Obviously increase the amounts according to how much meat you need to grill! Serve with Rice. The first time I just used a box pilaf but then second time when I was cooking for a large group of people I decided to try the Armenian Rice Pilaf (above) which was also a big hit! Though next time I would add some pepper to the rice when it's browning for a little more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment