Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

We pregnant women get cravings, and those craving don't always like to wait to be satisfied. Tonight I was craving Shepherd's Pie, and I needed to make it fast! This recipe took me about 30 minutes (though it is not a Rachel Ray recipe) and was very delicious!

Ingredients:
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed (peeled if you want)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg (separate yolk and white and reserve both)
- 1/2c half & half
- 4 tbsp butter (divided into 1 tbsp, 1tbsp, and 2 tbsp measurements)
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1c beef stock
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1c frozen corn, thawed

The Making:

Boil potatoes in salted water till tender, about 12 minutes

Meanwhile, beat the egg white until stiff. Transfer to a mug and set aside.

In a small bowl combine the half & half, egg yolk, and sour cream and set aside.

In a large high-sided skillet melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften. Add ground beef and crumble and brown.

Lower heat to medium-low and pushing the meat to one side of the pan get the juices on the other side. Add the butter to the juices and let melt. Add the flour and mix until there are no lumps.

Add the broth, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper and combine with the meat mixture. Let the gravy begin to thicken and take off heat.

Drain potatoes and add to mixer bowl with 2 tbsp butter. Start mixing and slowly add the sour cream mixture. When potatoes are smooth season with salt and pepper to taste and gently fold int he beaten egg whites.

Preheat the oven to broil on high.


Spoon meat mix into individual ramekins or a casserole dish. Top with corn and potatoes and place under broiler until browned. Serve warm.

Tips and Talk:
The potato topping on this comes out so light and fluffy from the beaten egg white and it really just kind of melts in to the corn and meat mixture. The only thing I can say is that it maybe could have used a bit more butter, but come on, I may be allowed to splurge and gain all this weight now, but at some point I'm going to have to lose it. I think the same flavor could be achieved if I had cut the garlic powder and used 2 tbsp minced jarred garlic in the beginning with the onion.

Phil had a meeting tonight and was unable to try this dish. He tells me that he really doesn't like Shepherd's pie, but will try it since I made it. Miles loved the potato topping, but wasn't thrilled with the meat (he doesn't usually like ground beef anyways, but I figured I'd try). For me, it definitely satisfied my craving in a timely manner.

As you can see from this one and the Chicken Pot Pie recipe, I like to use ramekins. That's because I'm not a huge fan of casseroles and dishes where you make this huge thing and as you serve it it falls over and nobody ever gets the same amount of the good stuff. Also, the ramekins make it so easy to wrap leftovers and heat them the next night, or transport them to work the next day for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment